COVID-19 UPDATE: Planning a Conservation Area visit? Please call ahead or visit the website to find out if there are any closures or service disruptions. Please find all Conservation Authority contact information here.
Located at the mouth of the Thames River - a Canadian Heritage River at Lake St. Clair. The lighthouse is 200 years old and is one of the three oldest on the Great Lakes. A pioneer family named Cartier settled at the mouth of the Thames River in the early 1800’s and built the first lighthouse. The original frame structure was destroyed by fire during the War of 1812. In 1818, the present structure was built. After Confederation, the lighthouse was extended in height to its present level. The LTVCA obtained the lighthouse in 1973 and has since moved the structure and rebuilt it stone by stone. Picnicking and fishing can also be enjoyed here.